Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Visit to the Dentist


Last night, I had a classmates gathering at Upperstar, Damai branch. After gathering, Peter (newly wed) and I decided to have supper at How Kee in Foh Sang. How Kee is famous for their noodle and porridge. Near the end of our meal, I felt my right molar tooth was loosened up.

I always knew that I need to pay a visit to the dentist but I always delayed it. I planned to visit my dentist before my Australia trip but I didn’t make it. I excused myself of being busy and everything would be just fine. I thanked God for not making me going through this painful experience when I was away on holiday.

The trigger point was a stem of Chinese vegetable (Pak Choy) got stuck between my broken tooth and caused the loosened up of my tooth. This morning, after my morning praying session, I decided to take my chance to see Dr Moi in Foh Sang. I didn’t know how long I have to wait before seeing the dentist since I didn’t book any appointment. Praise the Lord that there was another dentist, Dr Ho. Her client did not turn up on time and hence I could my session.

My surgery was longer than expected. It lasted almost 2 hours. At first, she wanted to save it but my tooth was broken into 3 parts and hence saving it was not an option. After anesthetics, she wanted to move it but the stubbornness of my molar forced her to go for a more adventurous option, sawing and cutting. It took her almost an hour to cut my tooth and removed it one by one. I had an X-ray afterward and found out there was another remaining part hidden behind the root and hence I went through another bone cutting process. After stitching, I am due for my next visit on coming Friday.

Later on, I found out that Dr Ho was my young siblings’ classmates. God is amazing. While I was letting Dr Ho in control of treating me, it reminded how in life God has controlled my path, guided me through the angry sea, lonely wilderness and kept me away from dangers.

“If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell.” (Mark 9:43-47)

“Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other.” (Mark 9:50)

If losing my tooth can save me from all the subsequent pains, I shall be grateful of this event. Since my tooth lost its ‘salt’, it was no longer being able to help me to chew without causing pain. My tooth suffered from Periodontitis. Periodontitis is one of the main causes of tooth loss in adults and is the main cause in older people. Infection erodes the bone that holds the teeth in place. The erosion weakens the attachments and loosens the teeth. An affected tooth may eventually fall out or need to be pulled (extracted).


During this economy tsunami, people afraid of redundancy from corporations. We, as Christians, in our workplace should not be worried about this if we are good salt, good tooth. If we have done our shares and be true disciple of Christ, employer will see us as good salt. On the other hand, if we have lost our saltiness, no longer be a productive element to a corporation or too many sinful acts have made us like a gentile, I afraid those are very likely to get discarded.

Working in an investment bank meant good money, good career prospects and bright future but it was a history. In reality, investment banks operated in deceitful information and lies. They did not offer real products, what investors invested was a pile of lies and numbers. The failure of the business is due to GREED. Greed is a sinful nature.

With money and power, they had left God. The nation had left God and committed idolatry. God does not like it and hence blessing has gone. It is our duty to bring the lost sheep back to him, plead the Holy Spirit to guide us, to have self control.

“Like a city who walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control” (Proverbs 25:28)

We should be away from all sinful activities. We are born in flesh, lack of self control and hence the best way to keep our heart clean is to be away from all these activities and dwell in his church, listening to his words.

Remember,

“The Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” (Proverbs 10:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment